Place your ad banner here.

Printer Friendly Version

Newsletter. Issue 2009-13. June 20, 2009

Newsline Canada
Convention News
News Clips From India
News Clips From Goa
Goan Voice UK
People Places and Things
Health & Wellness
Classified Adverts
Subscribe to Goan Voice
Contact Us
Links & Reference Section
Newsletter Archives
†††††† 2002-2003
†††† † 2004
††† †† 2005
††† †† 2006
††††† 2007
††††† 2008
††††† 2009



It is with great sadness that the family announce the passing of Esmeralda de Mello (ex- Kenya), in her 90th year, in Goa, India, on Thursday, June 18, 2009. She joins her husband Pascoal, her sisters Carmelina, Rose, Benetina, and brother Manuel. She leaves behind her sons Dr. Joe (Madeline), Tim (Jenny), Raymond (Hyacinth) and Stan (Kathleen). Wonderful grandmother to Robert, Stephen (Anna), James, Hazel, Jessica and Thomas. Great-grandmother to Elliott, aunt to 8 nieces, 5 nephews and several great-nieces and nephews. Funeral Service at St. Michaelís Church, Anjuna, Goa on Tuesday, June 23 at 4:00 p.m. Messages of condolence to the family can be left at

Dubai siblings die of suspected food poisoning
By Mahmood Saberi, Senior Reporter, and Kevin Scott, Staff Reporter
Published: June 14, 2009, 23:02

Chelsea (left) became unconscious when medics tried to revive her and Nathan was pronounced dead on arrival at the hospital where he was taken after suspected food poisoning.

Dubai: A Dubai-based couple's life was torn apart over the weekend when they lost both their son and daughter to suspected food poisoning, a friend of the family said. Ann-Sofia, a French expatriate, had ordered take-away from the Lotus Garden Chinese restaurant in Al Ghusais on Friday evening and several hours later, when the children started vomiting, she rushed them to NMC Hospital.

Dr B. R. Shetty, Managing Director and CEO of the NMC Group of Hospitals, said: "Two children and one adult were brought to the NMC Hospital in Dubai on Friday evening with suspected food poisoning. One of the children, a young boy, was pronounced dead on arrival. A young girl and a woman were than transferred to Dubai Hospital for further treatment.

"The young girl was pronounced dead this [yesterday] morning but the woman is feeling better. All three cases are being linked to suspected food poisoning but we cannot determine the exact cause of the deaths until Dubai health authorities complete their investigation."

The five-year old boy, Nathan, and his sister Chelsea, seven, were treated for suspected food poisoning. Chelsea and her mother were admitted to the intensive care unit. They were then transferred to Dubai Hospital where Chelsea died yesterday [Sunday], the friend said. The father, Patrick D'Souza, an Indian, was in Abu Dhabi when the incident took place. Gulf News reported warnings from doctors last week to minimise eating out during the summer months, especially at smaller eateries where hygiene levels are often of lower standard.

Food poisoning often occurs when food is stored at incorrect temperatures as bacteria grows rapidly during the hot and humid months.

Goan Voice designed and compiled by Demerg Systems India,
ALFRAN PLAZA, "C" Block, 2nd Floor, S-43/44,
(Near Don Bosco School), Panjim, Goa-403001
Tel: +91 0832 2420797 Email: